London icon benefits from Kooltherm pipe insulation
Published: 04 February, 2016
To reduce the heat transference from service pipework in 20 Fenchurch Street, London (the ‘Walkie Talkie’ building) 20 000 linear metres of Kingspan Kooltherm FM pipe insulation has been installed, helping to achieve a BREEAM ‘Excellent’ rating and a post-construction score of 80.2%. The building offers 63 000 m2 of office space and is topped with a massive sky garden. The well known concave design was created by Rafael Viñoly.
This pipe insulation has an aged thermal conductivity as low as 0.025 W/mK, which allowed the desired thermal performance to be achieved with the slimmest possible solution. The system has an A+ rating in the BRE Green Guide and is made to a BS EN ISO 14001:2004 scheme, which helped to achieve further credits within the material section of BREEAM.
Paul Frost of insulation contractor Prolag Thermal says, ‘We have a great deal of experience working on high profile, sustainable projects and Kingspan Kooltherm pipe insulation helped us to simply meet all of the performance requirements. The product was to easy install, and its compact dimensions were particularly useful when working in some of the more restrictive service spaces.’For more information on this story, click here: February 2016, 102
- 23 March, 2017Pump Industry Awards
- 29 March, 2017, 9:30Data centre design and energy effiicency
- 31 March, 2017Annual awards of the Commissioning Specialists' Association - closing date for entries
- 11 May, 2017BCIA Awards 2017
- 17 - 18 May, 2017PHEX+
- 23 - 24 May, 2017Edie Live
- 15 June, 2017 - 23:55CSA Awards
- 12 - 14 September, 2017The Energy Event
- 22 - 23 November, 2017EMEX
- 23 - 25 January, 2018HVAC & Refrigeration Show