LED lighting helps achieve sustainable homes

Velux, Philips Consumer Lighting, LED Lighting
When natural lighting is not enough to illuminate these Velux CarbonLight homes near Kettering, energy-efficient LED lighting systems from Philips come into effect.

LED lighting systems have been installed in two Velux CarbonLight homes in Rothwell, Kettering, to help deliver a 70% reduction in carbon emissions on site. The remaining 30% of carbon emissions are offset by allowable solutions such as funding energy-saving improvements to existing local housing stock, This project sets out to prove that it is possible to build energy-efficient, sustainable housing that is practical, appealing and comfortable for the consumer — while being easy for the volume house builder to replicate.

The lighting systems were supplied by Philips, and Fabiola Craddy, brand manager of Philips Consumer Lighting, says, Given that lighting consumes nearly 20% of global electricity consumption, an initiative such as this, which seeks to show the benefits of switching to low-energy lighting, makes perfect sense.

The houses have been designed to maximise natural daylight coming into them, supported by LED lighting.

The houses will be monitored to see how residents interact with their homes. With this in mind, Philips Living Ambiance has been installed in the main living areas, enabling residents to match the ambiance of a room to their moods or activities.

Living Ambiance is based on a wireless system which integrates multiple fittings and bulbs to create different scenes using adjustable white and coloured lighting that can be instantly set and recalled using a remote control.

For more information on this story, click here: October 2011, 121
Related links:
Related articles:



modbs tv logo

Can I use my Air Conditioning system?

If your system hasn't been used in months it's an important question. 

New air-cooling system from Weiss Technik has unique four-stage safety concept and innovative thermal disinfection

The Coronavirus outbreak has increased awareness of hygienic room climate issues, ventilation and air-conditioning systems in public buildings. If planned poorly or not serviced properly, air conditioning units can quickly turn into transmitters of disease-causing germs.

Calendar
  • Calendar Icon
    11 November, 2020, 10:00 - 12 November, 2020, 16:00
    elemental
  • Calendar Icon
    20 November, 2020, 19:00 - 23:59
    CSA Awards